The State Government of Osun has dismissed as false and misleading online report purporting that six persons, who have been tested positive for COVID-19 were missing from the State’s Isolation Centre in Ejigbo.
The State Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Mrs Funke Egbemode, who denied the report in a statement on Saturday, said only one person could not be accounted for by officials at the isolation centre.
She disclosed that a quick check showed that the name and number of the first person on the list of the purported missing patients being circulated online, is currently at the facility in Ejigbo
The Commissioner recalled that the State government about a week ago, received 127 Ivory Coast returnees and immediately kept them at an isolation centre to avoid community transfer of the virus, should in case anyone of them had been infected with the virus before their arrival to the State.
She said: “This morning we embarked on a headcount and found out that only one person could not be accounted for by officials stationed at the Isolation centre out of the 127 persons.
“Besides, a quick check showed that the name and number of the first person on the list of the purported missing patients, is indeed currently in our facility in Ejigbo,” she said.
Egbemode noted that the State Government was currently investigating the matter and would ensure that the missing person is brought back to the isolation centre, adding that the government will also trace all his contacts.
“We want to reiterate that any official(s) found culpable will also be dealt with accordingly.
“We implore members of the public to discountenance the alarm being raised. We will continue to do everything to protect the lives of our citizens in this fight against Coronavirus,” the Commissioner said.